homeaboutfreebiesshopadvertise

Friday, October 28, 2011

(un) Spooky Night

Halloween is approaching! yaaaay! I'm going as Tintin this year, and Baby G as Snowy, Tintin's dog. My husband is not dressing up, but I secretly wish he would be my Captain Haddock. 

Today's post is about Halloween decorating though. Lots of my reader been asking on how to celebrate Halloween in not too scary nor too kiddy atmosphere. Indi, here, would like to decorate her parent's house, and as fellow Indonesian, I'd really, really know how conservative  things get around here. A friendly smiling skeleton would be considered outrageous. So here are some tips for you if you wish to celebrate Halloween, without the ghouls and witches.

Mandatory rules : no spooky creatures and/or animals, fictional or not. If you thirst for blood and gore, ignore this post.


Think of a not too scary theme, obviously. Think : Harry Potter potion class, not Saw nor Frankenstein. This arrangement by Martha Stewart is a perfect example. You get the mood of curious glass specimens, but not too hair raising as in a siamese twin fetus jar.


Going for classic literature this year? Think subtle gothic theme, like Poe's Raven instead of Stoker's Dracula. I found BrooklynLimestone's Raven themed dinner party decor is breathtaking but none bone chilling. Visit them for DIY dinner ware! See? No blood in sight!



Think outside of the box, in this case, pumpkins. Give your orange buddy a rest and arrange some flowers instead. Before you say that I am talking about the wrong holiday, take a look at this very fine example by OneCharmingParty. Pick your flower in a Halloween color scheme. For a grown up party, take white or purple ones or neutrals like grayish green.  If you want to bring out some oranges without the pumpkin, pick an orange or yellowish colored blooms. Decorate with monochrome vases. Tin can such as the pic works well, but I think vintage-y gothic vases work well too. Be sure to contrast the pairing; black or dark flower go with opaque white vases, white flower, black vases. Don't mix white flowers with glass jars or white vase or it'll scream "I do" instead of "boo". 


If you must, MUST, use pumpkins, please don't carve faces on them. For chic effect do paint, tie a bow, hang a tag, scribble your pumpkins in every possible way you can think of. Damask for pumpkins? Now that's what I call trendy. PaperCraftConnection will show you how and inspirations.  Think Audrey Hepburn chic, not Morticia. 



My final advise, think of Halloween as your un-holiday decor. Think of a color scheme of black and orange instead of vampires and werewolves. It does makes decorating easier if you stick to a color scheme instead of sticking to a theme. You've probably seen it everywhere, but Amy Atlas' pure genius (not evil genius) dessert tables spell C-H-I-C along the way. She showed the way to use color scheme perfectly, black and purple, traditional orange and neutral.

I hope you're inspired (and motivated. *now get out of your screen and get decorating*)!! What are you dressing up as this Halloween or how do you decor your house this year? Do share! 

23 comments:

  1. I AM A NEW FASHION BLOGGER FROM INDONESIA, LIVING IN SINGAPORE.
    I LOVE YOUR BLOG,AND YOU AS WELL ! NICE POST!! I AM NOW FOLLOWING YOUR BLOG,YOU CAN CHECK IT!! IT WOULD BE AN HONOR IF YOU FOLLOW MY BLOG:

    seekthesleek.blogspot.com
    if you follow my blog:
    - I WILL BE ACTIVE ON COMMENTING YOUR POSTS
    - I WILL RECOMMEND YOUR POSTS TO GOOGLE
    - I WILL SHARE YOUR POSTS TO MY TWITTER : @TIODANG
    PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR TWITTER ACCOUNT, SO I CAN MENTION YOU IF I SHARE YOUR POST TO MY TWITTER,
    AND FEEL FREE TO MENTION ME IF YOU WANT ME TO READ YOUR NEWEST POST & COMMENT IT!
    - I WILL PROMOTE YOUR BLOG IN MY BLOG (*this one need a special request , please contact me: cheeringwinda@yahoo.com if you are interested!)
    *THAT IS AS LONG AS YOU KEEP IN TOUCH WITH MY BLOG TOO!!*

    P.S: THE FOLLOW BUTTON IS AT THE TOP LEFT OF MY BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Halloween decorations!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. who knew Halloween could look so chic and elegant?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing pics dear and great bog!
    Following! Follow back? <4

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't think of a cuter halloween costume than Tintin. What a great idea!!!


    Camila Faria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Great blog and photos! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice your blog This site has lots of very useful information on it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for dropping by my blog. your work is awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello there, I'm Natasha. I really love your blog, it's amazing! Soo you have new follower! ;)
    I'm following you, so you can check out my blog & follow me if you like it.
    Thanks a lot.

    x.o.x.o
    http://llnatasha.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I adore these decorations, I mean how pretty those painted pumpkins look and Halloween is the best! Your blog is awesome by the way and I am a new follower! Hope you will like my blog and follow back!

    Pop Culture&Fashion Magic

    ReplyDelete
  11. These photos are so cute! I like this post!
    Take a look at my blog, and if you like it follow me, I’ll be waiting for you!

    Don’t forget to enter the ZELEB giveaway on my blog!!
    Cosa mi metto???

    ReplyDelete
  12. Halloween is not use spooky costumes,like your post it is..nice

    ReplyDelete
  13. great ideas, love the last photo!
    now following your blog :)
    xx

    share the love? eye_spy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! I?m just starting out in community management/marketing media and trying to learn how to do it well - resources like this article are incredibly helpful. As our company is based in the US, it?s all a bit new to us. The example above is something that I worry about as well, how to show your own genuine enthusiasm and share the fact that your product is useful in that case.spanish worksheets for kids

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW!! Such a amazing information have you shared over here.
    This is really a great blog have you written.I really enjoyed reading your article.I will be looking forward to read your next post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your time on commenting! I love all your comments and really appreciate your thoughts. If you wish for a personal reply, please tell me and leave me your email address along with your comment.